Iran has issued a strong condemnation of a terrorist attack in the Somali capital which left dozens of people killed and injured.
In a Saturday statement, Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Abbas Mousavi extended his condolences to the victims of the terror attack that took place earlier in the day in Mogadishu and killed at least 90 people and injured dozens more.
The attack, the deadliest in more than two years in Somalia, came after a bomb-laden truck exploded at a checkpoint in Mogadishu.
Many students, some 17 police forces and foreign nationals were among those killed in the attack, authorities said.
Other sources suggested the toll could be much higher than 90 as the attack occurred during the morning rush hour and in a busy day in Somalia, a Muslim country in the Horn of Africa region.
Hospital sources said more than 100 wounded people had been referred to the health facilities after the attack.
Authorities, including Mogadishu Mayor Omar Muhamoud, blamed al-Shabaab, a notorious terrorist group linked to al-Qaeda, for the attack although there has been no claim of responsibility from the group.
There was no comment from the police and other authorities on the potential motives behind the attack.
Al-Shabaab was forced out of Mogadishu in 2011, but violence still rages around the city and in other parts of the country.
The group has also been responsible for high-profile attacks in Kenya mainly because the neighboring country has launched a military intervention in Somalia.
Every now and then, Al-Shabaab carries out deadly attacks against the government, military, and civilian targets in Somali. It has fought successive Somali governments as well as governments in neighboring Kenya and Uganda.